Run around ireland challenge!!
As part of working towards our Active School Renewal Flag, we took part in a Running Challenge for 4 weeks. During this time, we built a running break into every day. It was an excellent way for children to learn about some of Ireland’s most famous landmarks and ideal for bringing learning outdoors. Class teachers were given:
- A map of Ireland’s famous landmarks
- A laminated class challenge chart where you can tick off each landmark as you run to it
- A laminated Progress Chart where you can record your progress daily and weekly. This initiative took place from Monday 22nd March – April 30th (1 week before and three weeks After Easter)
- The Challenge was completed at different times by different classes and on various routes throughout the day.
- We also choose to focus on the strand of Athletics in PE while taking part in this challenge
- It was amazing to see some of the classes getting very competitive and even running/jogging and walking laps at lunch time- nice and refreshed returning to class!!
How we got on in the challenge!
Every class loved the challenge. Everyone made a special effort to run around the school yard or Gaa pictographs each break time or during PE lessons. We loved seeing how far we travelled on the map of Ireland. Each Friday there were two people picked from each class and commended for the super effort they made to improve their running over the week.